Things to do at and around Waihi Beach
For non-painting partners or for either side of your Art Break.
Updated on 10th May 2016
Please visit the following websites for full and current information:
In a nut-shell, here is a list of ideas. If interested, you can check these out further through the above websites and/or check out our links below.
Activities taking half a day (more/ less):
- Walks/bike trail in the Karangahake Gorge. Refer to The Hauraki Rail trail and/or our blog entry 'A small taste of biking in the Karangahake Gorge'.
- Surf casting from the beach or fly fishing in the gorge.
- Shopping at the beach, Waihi or Katikati. There are many second hand shops. Waihi Beach is small but punches above its weight. It has unique shops for gifts, womens clothing and accessories. a great hardware store including gifts for the family, an excellent pharmacy, its very own French shop, delicatessan and cafes to choose from.
- Swimming, walking, surfing, paddle boarding or lying around reading at the beach. You can take a lesson in surfing or paddle boarding also.
- Massage or beauty treatment in Waihi Beach such as Revive massage studio
- Hot pools at Top 10 or at Athenree.
- Visiting local artists
From Waihi Beach it's:
- 40 minutes drive to Tauranga
- 1.5 hours to Rotorua
- 15 minutes to KatiKati
- 10 minutes to Waihi.
- The Karangahake Gorge is a further 5 to 10 minutes from Waihi township.
- Under 2 hours to Auckland.
There are pamphlets and further information regarding options including maps at the bach.